How to apply
Application period 2018
3 November 2017 - 1 February 2018
Please read the information below carefully before submitting your application online.
Please begin by exploring the faculty members in the participating hosting labs and their research topics.
You will be asked in your application to indicate two or three preferred research groups. This will help the programme to coordinate optimal lab placements.
Please do not contact faculty members directly.
The ETH Zurich Amgen Scholars Program is open to undergraduate students who
- are enrolled as regular students at a university in a country that participates in the Bologna Process1
- will have successfully completed at least two years of their Bachelor's degree by the start of the programme in July 2017, but have not yet graduated prior to termination of the programme in September2
- are interested in pursuing a doctorate/PhD.
If you have participated in the Amgen Scholars Program in a previous year at one of the participating universities you are not eligible to participate in the programme again.
1 Eligible students must be enrolled at a university in a country that participates in the Bologna Process. Currently these are:
Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Holy See, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russian Federation, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom.
2 Note for medical students: Eligible applicants must not have completed their pre-clinical training by the end of the programme in September.
In your online application you will be asked to name up to three preferred host laboratories for your research project (see List of research groups).
Please note that you must make your choice on the level of specific research groups/professors. Preferences on the general level of a department or institute is not sufficient.
The working languague of the programme at ETH Zurich is English. A good command of English is required.
Applicants who are non-native English speakers should ask their referees to assess their language skillls on the referee form.
Alternatively, if available, you can include an English language certificate with your application documents.
- First you need to register with SiROP (press CTRL+click to open in new window)
To register search for your home university in the list provided or create an account using an email address.
- After completing your registration, click the online application link below where you will find the «Apply now» button at the bottom of the linked SiROP page.
This link has been deactivated. The application period for this year’s program has ended.
After clicking «Apply now» button at the bottom of the SiROP page you will be asked to fill in personal data and upload several documents:
- Your CV. Please be sure to list any lab skills you already may have acquired and your respective proficiency.
You may use any CV format you wish - if you need help, please feel free to use the Europass format.
- Official academic transcript from your home university
- Letter of motivation/Personal statement (max 1 page).
Describe in your own words why you have chosen your proposed scientific area of research. Explain what you hope to accomplish by becoming an Amgen Scholar and how it will support your academic or career goals and prepare you for a career in research.
A good personal statement can be written in half a page and you should aim not to write more than a full A4 page. Lay it out carefully to make it easy to read.
- Two Letters of recommendation. Request these letters of recommendation from your academic referees. Referees should use the respective form (PDF, 328 KB). They can sign the recommendation using an electronic signature, or they can print, sign, and scan the form. Upload these two letters as part of your application.
Only complete applications with all the required documents can be considered for admission.