Do I need a visa?

Main content

Students from EU and EFTA countries

Citizens of the following EU and EFTA countries as well as those from Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand and Singapore do not require a visa:

  • EU countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden
  • EFTA countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway

If you are a citizen of one of these countries, please follow the instructions for students who do not require a visa.

Students from all other countries

Citizens of all other countries must apply for a national "D" visa in person at the Swiss diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate general) at their place of residence.

As a citizen of a country where a visa is required to enter Switzerland, please follow the instructions for students who require a visa.

If you are not sure whether or not you require a visa, please consult the website of the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM).


Although Switzerland is an associated member of the Schengen/Dublin agreement, a Schengen visa from another state only entitles its holder to enter and travel through Switzerland, but NOT to take up residence. To do so, you need a national "D" visa.

Please note: The information on this page is meant for information purposes only. No responsibility is taken for the correctness of this information. The rules and regulations may have changed in the meantime. For legally binding information please contact the website of the Swiss Federal Office for Migration or ask at the Swiss diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate general) at your place of residence.

Page URL:
© 2017 Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich