Residence permit

Main content

Irrespective of whether you require an entry visa, you must have a residence permit for your period of study in Switzerland. You must apply for this in person within 14 days of your arrival at the Citizen’s Registry Office (“Einwohnermeldeamt”) at your new place of residence or at the respective "Kreisbüro" if you live in the city of Zurich (for addresses, see the factsheet "Residence permit" (PDF, 38 KB)).

You will be asked for:

  • your passport or identity card
  • your "Extended confirmation of matriculation" (see explanation below and an example (PDF, 26 KB))
  • your rental contract for accommodation
  • an up-to-date passport photograph (EU students only)
  • CHF 20 (registration fee)
  • CHF 65 (EU-countries) / CHF 142 (non-EU countries) (document fee)
  • evidence of sufficient financial resources (not required if you entered Switzerland with a student visa). As financial evidence, the Migration Office accepts your own bank statement or (if you are an EU/EFTA citizen) a letter from your parents confirming that they will support you with CHF 1750 per month.

After a few weeks you will receive your residence permit. Non-EU nationals get documents containing biometric data.

The permit is generally issued for one year and can be extended if your studies last longer. Please note that evidence of sufficient financial resources is required for the extension of your residence permit.


For members of non-EU/EFTA countries, the entire period of studies in Switzerland may not exceed 8 years. This period includes the time spent on a degree, doctorate and post-doctorate.

Extended confirmation of matriculation

When you apply for or extend your residence permit, the Zurich Migration Office will require the document "Extended confirmation of matriculation".

The document "Extended confirmation of matriculation" is part of the set of matriculation confirmation documents that you automatically receive by post as soon as you have enrolled for the new semester. If you are beginning the first semester of your studies, the set is handed out to you when you pick up your matriculation documents at the desk of the ETH Registrar's Office.

The set contains four "normal" confirmations of matriculation, one validation substitute for your ETH card and one "Extended confirmation of matriculation". This document (double size format) must be used when you apply for a residence permit or its renewal! See the example (PDF, 26 KB).

Subsequent immigration of family members

Family members are only permitted to enter Switzerland with students or subsequently join students if sufficient financial means for each family member as well as a rental contract for accommodation are provided in advance.

Please note: The information on this page is meant for information purposes only. No responsibility is taken for the correctness of this information. The rules and regulations may have changed in the meantime. For legally binding information please contact the respective authorities.

Page URL:
© 2017 Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich