The following documents must be submitted along with a letter of recommendation:
- The publication on which the nomination is based (and possibly any other significant publications)
- List of publications
The following conditions apply to nominations:
- Self-nominations are not permitted.
- Scientists in a permanent professorial position may not be nominated.
- Nominations may only be submitted by scientific institutions (from industry or tertiary education) and members of such institutions in an individual capacity.
The prize is awarded on the basis of the following criteria:
- The originality and quality of the published work on which the nomination is based
- Independence of research
- Breadth of research