Material Collection ETH Zurich
ETH Zurich’s Material Collection contains basic building materials in their various appearances and processing forms, and selected innovative materials.
Approximately 1,500 material samples
- Various material samples, including clay, ceramics, glass, metal, stone, lime, plaster, cement, bitumen, plastic and wood
- Samples of various surface treatments and joining techniques
- Material samples from student projects
- Historical material samples
Relevance of research and Public
In the context of the School of Architecture, the collection is considered as an instrument of design methodology. Besides a basic stock of classic and elementary building materials, innovative materials and the results of material experiments are also displayed. Another priority is the presentation of industrial and non-industrial production and processing techniques.
Current activities, projects
- Processing the stone material group in collaboration with the Swiss Geotechnical Commission (SGTK) and the Naturstein-Verband Schweiz (NSV) (Swiss Natural Stone Association)
- Constant enlargement of the collection with material samples and datasets
Use of the archive / online presence
- The material sample holdings are freely accessible.
- The Material-Archiv co-run with "Verein Material Archiv" is linked to the collection’s samples and can be consulted on the premises or online.