Among the oldest and most important research collections of Swiss insects, preserving the biological heritage of Switzerland for future generations.
- Two million fully prepared and curated insect specimens
- Taxonomic publications library (3,500 volumes) and archives
- More than 5,000 primary type specimens
- Heer type collection
- Important holdings of Swiss Lepidoptera, Hymenoptera and Coleoptera
- Schulthess Collection of World Hymenoptera
Relevance of research and Public
The Entomological Collection is an important inventory of Swiss insect fauna accumulated over nearly 200 years. It provides material for taxonomists, educators, agricultural scientists, conservationists, and ecologists researching the roles that insects play in public health, environmental health and ecosystem services.
Current activities, projects
- Upgrading and digitization of key sub-collections
- Student education and public outreach
- Hosting local and international researchers