Chemical and Pharmacognostic Collection
Equipment, specimens, books and documents on the history of chemistry and pharmaceutics at the Federal Polytechnic School and later ETH Zurich can be viewed in a permanent exhibition.
- 12 display cases containing around 1,000 exhibits
- Garden with around 200 species of medicinal plants and information on the active ingredients
- Stimulant and addictive substances, spices, facsimiles of ancient herbal books
- Reagents, coloring agents, old measurement equipment for analysis and synthesis
- Photo albums, books, documents
Relevance of research and Public
The pharmacognostic "Hartwich-Sammlung" provides an impression of research topics on objects such as tobacco, opium, betel, coca, tea, cocoa, coffee, mate or sake, the majority of which come from overseas.
The exhibits in the Chemical Collection convey a sense of student life and the laboratory atmosphere over the last 150 years, as well as the research activities of ETH Zurich’s three Nobel laureates.
Medicinal plant garden
The study of officinal medicinal and poisonous plants of the medicinal plant garden is part of the pharmaceutics degree.