García de Soto Lastra, Borja, Dr.
- Information technology and information models to improve management of projects
- Artificial intelligence and automation in construction processes
- Optimization of construction schedules and cost estimates (n-D models)
- Information flow (interoperability) during different project phases
- Agile and lean construction
Borja has over ten years of experience working as a structural engineer and project manager in the USA. He is a registered civil engineer (Professional Engineer (PE) license in California and Florida) with international experience in multiple aspects of project management, including project cost estimating, risk management and control, delay analysis and forensic engineering. In 2015 he founded the ASCE Switzerland International Group and he is currently the president.
He received the degree of Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering from Florida International University (FIU) in 2000 (graduated Cum Laude), the degree of Master of Science in Civil Engineering in the area of Structural Design from FIU in 2001, the degree of Master of Science in Engineering in the area of Engineering and Project Management from the University of California at Berkeley (UC-Berkeley) in 2004, and a Ph.D. in the area of civil engineering / construction and infrastructure management from ETHZ, Switzerland in 2014. His PhD thesis received the «Bau und Infrastruktur-Förderungspreis» of ETHZ in 2015.
He is a Senior Assistant and Lecturer at the Infrastructure Management Group. He offers classes in the area of construction project management and information technology, supervises BSc theses and MSc projects/theses, supports research projects, and supervises Ph.D. students.
- Founder and President of the ASCE Switzerland International Group
- Licensed Civil Engineer at the California Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists - CA PE License No: 75841
- Licensed Civil Engineer at the Florida Board of Professional Engineers - FL PE License No: 68753
- Residential Building Inspector - License No. 5269022-B1
- Certified Engineer Intern from the US National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying - Certificate No. 1100007275
A list of publications can be found here: Publications
Spring Semester 2017