Using a Computers to Solve Scientific and Technical Problems
Computational Science and Engineering (CSE) provides futureoriented training in mathematics, computer science, and in at least two areas of application from the natural and engineering sciences.
Credits ECTS: 180
Language of instruction: German
The Bachelor’s degree programme comprises three years of study, but it is possible to complete the first year in another degree programme at ETH Zurich or another university. After the first year it is possible to transfer to Computational Science and Engineering from practically every ETH degree programme. During the first year students are taught the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and computer science.
During the second year, in addition to a deepening in the fundamentals of these subjects they are instructed in the basics of the natural sciences and engineering. In the third year students study two mandatory core subjects, as well as one (small) specialisation chosen from the following list: Astrophysics, Atmospheric Physics, Chemistry and Biology, Fluid Dynamics, Control Technology, Robotics, Theoretical Physics, Financial Engineering, Electromagnetics, Geophysics, Systems Biology. Electives, case studies and a Bachelor’s thesis conclude the degree programme.
- First year: Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science (or first year completed in another degree programme, except Architecture, Materials Sciences and the Professional Officers programme)
- Basic courses from: Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering and Natural Sciences
- Core courses: High Performance Computing for Science and Engineering, Software Design
- One field of specialisation selected from: Astrophysics, Atmospheric Physics, Chemistry and Biology, Fluid Dynamics, Control Theory, Robotics, Theoretical Physics, Financial Engineering, Electromagnetics, Geophysics, Systems Biology
- Electives, case studies, Bachelor’s thesis
Unconditional transfer to:
Diese Website wird in älteren Versionen von Netscape ohne graphische Elemente dargestellt. Die Funktionalität der Website ist aber trotzdem gewährleistet. Wenn Sie diese Website regelmässig benutzen, empfehlen wir Ihnen, auf Ihrem Computer einen aktuellen Browser zu installieren. Weitere Informationen finden Sie auf
The content in this site is accessible to any browser or Internet device, however, some graphics will display correctly only in the newer versions of Netscape. To get the most out of our site we suggest you upgrade to a newer browser.